Is Your Body Odor Aging You Prematurely?
by KoKo Hayashi | 7/14/21
“Do people think you smell old?”
Seems like an odd question, right?
“Old people smell” – That unpleasant, grassy, greasy odor we sometimes associate with senior living homes is unmistakable.
Growing up, you may have noticed it on other, much older people. You might have even assumed it had something to do with their hygiene.
If it were gradually happening to you, surely you'd notice it on yourself…
According to scientists, the answer is no.
Studies have shown that our noses can quickly “blind” us to bad smells – even if the source of that smell is us.
That’s not all.
Here’s the real kicker: Turns out, you don't have to be old for your body to naturally start to smell old.
According to dermatologists, the change in our bodies starts as early as our 40s.
Doctors have a name for this hidden scent that could be aging you prematurely...
It's called nonenal – and it has nothing to do with how often you bathe.
Nonenal is a naturally occurring scent caused by the breakdown of omega-7 fatty acids on your skin. As these fatty acids are exposed to the air, the change creates that unpleasant smell.
Your body produces these fatty acids throughout your life. However, as we age, three things start to happen:
- Our skin's natural antioxidant protection decreases, making these chemical reactions on the surface of our skin happen at a faster rate than before.
- Our hormonal balances begin to change. For women, hot flashes and night sweats during menopause cause excessive perspiration and increased fatty acid production, resulting in higher levels of nonenal.
A recent Swedish study showed that middle aged men often have the worst body odor amongst all age groups in males – possibly due to higher testosterone ratios and related nonenal production.
- Increased stress levels (the kind that comes from kids, health problems, and a mortgage) also speed up the production of nonenal in both women and men.
Put these together, and you have a recipe for unnoticed stink growing right under your nose.
So while you think you might smell your favorite perfume or cologne, the people around you could be smelling something else.
Not only is the scent nearly impossible to detect on yourself – it’s very difficult to get rid of.
Unlike dirt or sweat, nonenal is oil-based, which means it's not easily removed by soap in the shower, or by regular detergents in the wash. That’s also why it tends to linger on fabrics, like your shirt collars, pillow cases, and certain furniture in your home.
So how do you you ensure you keep smelling like the younger – fresher – version of you?
One way is by following a healthy lifestyle. This includes exercising regularly, avoiding stress, abstaining from smoking, drinking alcohol in moderation, eating a clean diet, drinking plenty of water, and getting enough rest.
However, if you want to be absolutely certain that you smell as good as you think you do, you can add an extra layer of protection to your daily regimen.
Experts will tell you there’s no better way to combat nonenal than adding this simple ingredient to your daily hygiene…
It’s called Japanese Persimmon, and it’s a potent antioxidant loaded with vitamins that’s traditionally been used in Japan for its naturally purifying and deodorizing benefits.
This prized, natural ingredient is particularly effective in eliminating body odor from hormonal imbalance or aging, leaving skin squeaky clean and freshly hydrated.
This chart shows how persimmon tannin is significantly more effective in reducing various causes of body odor, including Nonenal, than regular soaps.
Mirai Clinical is the ONLY soap bar in the U.S. with Japanese Persimmon Extract.
Hand crafted by soap artists in Japan, this anti-nonenal odor soap has been clinically proven to eliminate "old people smell" or "aging odor" without stripping your skin of its natural oils.
Unlike other Persimmon soaps, which use a less effective, whole form of persimmon, Mirai Clinical uses a special lab-enhanced formulation that, when combined with other natural ingredients, makes for an extremely effective deodorizing ingredient.
Here are more reasons Mirai Clinical is unlike any other nonenal soap:
- Eliminates Nonenal by 97% compared to only 35% by conventional soaps.
- Gently eliminates troublesome body odors originating from hormonal imbalances, menopause, and nonenal/aging odor. Also eliminates vaginal, underarm, and foot odors.
- Contains no harmful chemicals that can strip the skin’s natural oils. Unlike other persimmon soaps from Japan, Mirai’s soap bar does not contain cocamidopropyl betaine, synthetic fragrances, PEG and preservatives that can prematurely age skin.
- Leaves skin soft and silky. Rinses off quickly.
- Handmade by soap artisans in Japan to preserve the delicate moisturizing agents found within.